Help and advice

Buying a new-home should be a trouble-free exercise, but sometimes in life, things don’t always go as smoothly as we would want them to. Your developer (or their appointed after care team) will probably be your first port of call.

If the problem is not something they are responsible for, they will probably be able to point you in the right direction. Below is some guidance and access to various parties who may be able to provide you with the support you need.


Dispute resolution service for Property, energy and Communications.


A free, fair and independent service for buyers, sellers, tenants and landlords of property in the UK.


The Glass and Glazing Federation represents companies who make, supply or fit, glass and glazing products in the UK and internationally. As well as offering an array of benefits to its members, the GGF guides and protects homeowners when buying glass or glazing products and services.

The CAB help people resolve their legal, money and other problems by providing free, independent and confidential advice and by influencing policy makers.


Should you find yourself in dispute with either of these parties and unable to obtain a resolution, the Financial Ombudsman Service will be able to provide you with guidance and a route to make a formal complaint, should you feel this to be necessary.


If you’re unhappy with any legal services you have received, the Legal Ombudsman will provide impartial in


A new home is almost certainly the most expensive item you will ever purchase. And they come with a degree of personal responsibility – maintaining the fabric and structure so that it lasts … a lifetime! But sometimes you may need a little guidance from other people, either because you’re facing a new problem, or because you feel you need professional input. HELP and ADVICE Got problems with your Heating and Hot Water? See our help page on BOILERSThinking of tackling the decorating? See our help page on DIYBought a brand new house and not clear what cover you have? See our help page on WARRANTY. As a homeowner, there are a wide range of organisations you may find useful to have at your finger tips. We have provided you with links to some of the most commonly used and hope that you find this helpful:

trade bodies logos


Most problems are small, often decorative (shrinkage and settlement cracks) or minor plumbing (dripping taps, weeping radiator joints). Even the very best of new homes can suffer what are commonly known as ‘defects’, during the very early stages following build completion. This is quite normal and nothing to be concerned about. Most developers have their own procedure and should have explained this to you at the point of legal completion.

Many developers use a specialist company called After Build who manage the process on their behalf. Your developer will expect the original contractor to return and make good any legitimate build defect – and they are the best people to do this as they were intimately involved in the construction of your home, so they know how everything fits together.

We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. ACCEPT COOKIES What are cookies?